#SgUnitedJobs Senior/Scientist (Social Sensing), Social & Cognitive Computing, IHPC
A*STAR RESEARCH ENTITIES
Engineering, Sciences / Laboratory / R&D
Contract, Full Time
S$4500 - S$9000
Senior/Scientist, Social Sensing, Integrative Social Sciences Horizontal Technology Programme Office
The Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) is setting up a new research initiative in the form of an Integrative Social Sciences Horizontal Technology Programme. The Programme, to be hosted in the Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC), will focus on integrating social scientific principles with other disciplines to produce impactful, translational research.
Our key research domains include:
- Health and wellbeing: Examining the social and psychological determinants of health and well-being, such as health disparities, effects of modern societies and technology on health attitudes and behaviours, or application of technology for health communication/intervention.
- Social sensing: Measuring psychological or behavioural variables such as attitudes, personality or identity, and/or examining their implications for socially-relevant outcomes such as trust, cohesion, and misinformation susceptibility.
- Education: Using social and behavioural science or technological innovations to improve learning, motivation, cognitive flexibility, or social-emotional competencies, whether in the context of adult skill training or classroom-based teaching.
- Urban sustainability and solutions: Integrating cognitive and behavioural effects to better model urban decision making and dynamics and ultimately improve urban environments and enhance residents' quality of life (e.g., enable seniors to better age in place).
The Programme is seeking candidates with background and interest on social sensing research theme, which pursues social science inquiries using new and mixed-method research methodologies. This involves the exaction, analysis, as well as interpretation of psychological constructs including but not limited to emotions, sentiments, attitudes and related behaviours, from natural text, audio and video data.
Successful candidates will have opportunities to join, lead and thrive in innovative research projects and studies that have both real-world societal impact as well as academic value, working with a high-performing, dynamic group of scientists and engineers consisting of experienced senior investigators, research associates and engineers with diverse social sciences and computer sciences background.
We welcome applicants with interest and experiences in the following areas:
- Social analytical methods (big social data research, natural language processing, social media research, sentiment analysis, text/audio/video analysis)
- Research and/or practical experiences in policy research, health & wellbeing, communications, and urban studies are a plus but not compulsory
- Research and/or practical experiences using behavioural research methods (behavioural experiments, surveys, interviews, case studies) are a plus but not compulsory
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Initiating and conducting innovative research that applies principles and methods of social science to address strategic societal challenges
- Preparing grant proposals and reports
- Supporting social science research initiatives across A*STAR by providing relevant domain knowledge and reviewing research proposals
- Participating in outreach and engagement activities to foster collaborations with industry, government, and academic partners
- Supporting ongoing social science research activities within the Programme and IHPC
Suitable candidates should meet the following core criteria:
- A PhD from a reputable university in social science disciplines including but are not limited to: Psychology (social psychology, cultural psychology, media psychology, health psychology), Linguistics, Communication, Journalism, Economics, Public Administration, Computational Social Science
- A compelling scientific track record and experience, commensurate with career stage
- The ability to contribute to one or more of the four research domains listed above.
The following characteristics would be highly desirable in a candidate:
- Willingness to undertake hands-on development work in rapid prototyping of solutions and development of proofs-of-concept systems.
- Experience working across disciplines (especially collaborations between social and computational sciences) and / or developing solutions to applied societal problems.
- Mid-career candidates should demonstrate ability, experience, and success in initiating, leading, and completing competitively funded research programmes.
- Fresh graduates should have good academic standing and strong potential for impactful scholarly contributions.
A*STAR is a catalyst, enabler and convenor of significant research initiatives among the research community in Singapore and beyond. Through open innovation, we collaborate with our partners in both the public and private sectors, and bring science and technology to benefit the economy and society.
Closing on 12 Mar 2021orview more job listings from this company