Head, Crypto-Asset Technology Risk
STANDARD CHARTERED BANK
Banking and Finance, Information Technology, Risk Management
Permanent, Full Time
S$22000 - S$33000
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and Never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
SC Ventures (“SCV”) was established in March of 2018 with the purpose of “Rewiring the DNA in Banking” by bringing three distinct areas together:
The eXellerator labs, enabling innovation at large in the Bank by supporting:
Entrepreneurially-minded colleagues as “Intrapreneurs”, developing ideas to products, services or new business models.
Collaboration with fintech companies, supported by the SC Ventures FintechBridge, Proof of Concept (“POC”) framework and POC funding.
Client engagement on co-creation activities.
The Innovation Investment Fund (“Fund”), USD100m allocated to acquire minority stakes in fintech companies (“fintechs”) whose technology has been successfully validated in the Group and is progressing to production (i.e., continuing use), subject to commercial due diligence.
Venture building, exploring new business models (“ventures”), with the objective of providing ‘optionality’ for the Group in the way it engages existing and new customers and markets. These adopt a start-up model, operating independently of the Group’s existing businesses, funded in a venture capital fashion, and under a different governance and risk management framework.
There are c.65 team members (excluding individual ventures), including dedicated colleagues from the Group’s support functions, based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nairobi, London and San Francisco.
1. Support the SC Ventures CRO in developing the Group’s approach to managing digital and crypto-asset related risk within the Group’s Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework.
2. Lead the development of cross-cutting digital and crypto-asset related risk management activities via:
• Development and approval of overall Approach to crypto-asset risk management integrated within Group’s broader risk and governance framework
• Development of the approach consistently within policies, standards and processes across segments, markets and products
• Development of relevant fora to ensure integrated, consistent and risk-based approach to management of digital and crypto-asset related risks
• Production of relevant reporting requirements on the portfolio of activities and risks and dissemination of relevant regulatory / market developments
3. Lead implementation and ongoing management of crypto-asset risk governance across the Group. This includes:
• Group strategy towards Crypto-asset risk position
• Group ‘Crypto-asset Risk Management Approach’
• Group Crypto-asset Risk Appetite
• Group Crypto-asset Risk Management Forum (clients, products, initiatives)
• Group policies, standards and process universe review and uplift
• Crypto-asset risk exposure reporting standards, monitoring, and escalation
• ICAAP assessment for Crypto-asset activity
• Subject matter expertise, resource and capacity for the Group in digital and crypto-asset related risk management via hiring, training and communication
4. Lead and oversight
• Risk due diligence review and challenge on Business Crypto-asset clients, products, and initiatives
• Crypto Asset Operational Risk Working Group implementation
• Proactive engagement of thought leaders to provide horizon and emerging Crypto risk scanning
• Subject matter expertise on crypto-asset risk at Business Risk Management Committees e.g. New Payments Method Operating Committee
• Continuously enhance the OR framework and methodology, keeping abreast of external practises through research and participation in industry forums.
• Manage the end-to-end OR process, ensuring a strong understanding and discipline of implementation of OR across teams
• Take ownership and ensure that for all Second-Line accountabilities within the Operational Risk Type Framework, are being consistently delivered effectively and efficiently.
• Develop and implement a training to raise the overall skillsets of the function (both technical and soft skills); this to include development and execution of training interventions, e.g. report writing and soft skills
• Fully adhere to – and actively contribute to - all agreed governance (e.g. committees) and other routines (regular meetings, attendance at other forums) for the GORT or, where applicable and requested, that relate to the relevant COEs. Act as an advocate for the GORT, its objectives and best practice in Operational Risk management more broadly where opportunity arises.
• Adhere to such other process and governance requirements as requested by line management, from time to time.
People and Talent
• Team Management: Uphold and reinforce the independence of the GORT, including through setting and monitoring appropriate Job Descriptions for direct reports and rigorous adoption of other people management routines (objective setting, performance reviews, development and training reviews etc.)
• Talent Management: Help the GORT to identify, attract, employ, engage and retain high performing and high potential individuals as needed for the team and more broadly, including ensuring a high-quality succession pipeline.
• Leadership: Lead through example and tone and help to build the appropriate culture and values within the team and across the wider organisation, communicating vision and building commitment and energy to focus on key priorities
• Ensure all activity adheres to the Risk Management Framework, with a specific focus on ensuring an effective framework for the management of Operational Risks within the team as they pertain to the role.
• Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
• Deliver ‘effective governance’; capability to challenge colleagues effectively; and willingness to work in an open and cooperative manner with all.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
• Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
• Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
• Lead the Governance and Policy team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles.
• Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
• As delegated by line management from time to time.
Our Ideal Candidate
• Strong academic background
• Extensive experience in emerging technology and/or technology in financial services. Broad experience across diverse business models within banking and Fintech
• Strong technical expertise within crypto-asset technology, risk management and thought leadership in digital-related risks (crypto-asset risk, technology risk, ICS Risk, resilience)
• Strong understanding of crypto-asset and fintech industry trends / developments, risk implications and impacts on the financial sector Knowledge of key regulatory and supervisory frameworks. Ideal - direct experience of working closely with supervisors / regulators
• Strong stakeholder management, communication and influencing skills
• Team leadership experience
• Programme/project management
• Experience paper writing for senior level committees.
• Creativity and appetite for continuous improvement
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions. To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages.
How to Apply
Please visit - https://scb.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=2000020407&lang=en to apply now and take the next step in fulfilling your potential.
You can search and view current opportunities across our global organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com.
To help speed up your application, please note the following:
• You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
• Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
• We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity & Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Closing on 06 Feb 2021orview more job listings from this company