Foreign Service Officer (Political and Economic)
MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Public / Civil Service
A career in the Foreign Service alternates between Singapore and in one of our 50 Missions around the world.
Always on the frontline of global developments, Foreign Service Officers (FSOs) respond swiftly to events happening around the world to safeguard and advance Singapore's interests. This includes analysing geopolitical developments, organising high-level visits and meetings, sharing Singapore's technical expertise with developing countries, as well as assisting overseas Singaporeans in distress.
Depending on your competencies and interests, you will be developed in one of the following tracks:
- Foreign Service Officer (Functional and Corporate)
- Foreign Service Officer (Political and Economic)
To be an FSO, you must have a good grasp of world affairs. You need to be able to persuade and assert, as well as build and sustain relationships. You must be versatile, and ready to adapt to and thrive in different environments.
As a Foreign Service Officer (Political and Economic), you will analyse, report and give policy advice on geopolitical developments concerning Singapore’s strategic interests. You could be deployed to manage bilateral or multi-lateral work. Your responsibilities could include:
- Representing Singapore in visits, meetings, conferences and bilateral/multilateral negotiations
- Coordinating and deconflicting domestic and foreign policy interests
- Organising incoming and outgoing visits
- Preparing reports on political and economic developments of host country
- Presenting and defending Singapore’s position
- Networking to cultivate and maintain close ties with influential people
Overseas, you serve as Political Secretary where you report on political and economic developments of your host country and serve as the eyes, ears, and voice of Singapore.
- Singapore citizens with the commitment to serve in the Public Service and can adapt to the challenges of working overseas
- Applicants with a keen interest in international affairs, strong analytical skills and conceptual abilities, excellent written and oral communication skills, strong ability to engage people at all levels, and good planning and organisation skills
You will be equipped with essential knowledge, skills and diplomatic tradecraft through structured programmes, courses and on-the-job training. As you progress within the Ministry, a series of varied and enriching assignments and milestone programmes will groom you for future leadership roles.
Find out more/Contact Us
Applications are open and all applicants will be notified on whether they are shortlisted or not within 4 weeks of application. If you wish to find out more or hear from our officers, please visit our website at www.mfa.gov.sg/career. If you have any queries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing on 31 Dec 2021