Instructor, Outward Bound Singapore
NATIONAL YOUTH COUNCIL
Education and Training, Public / Civil Service
About Outward Bound Singapore
Outward Bound Singapore (OBS), is a member of Outward Bound International - a global network of Outward Bound schools operating in 34 countries. Established in 1967, OBS is recognised for its leading experience in outdoor education with more than 500,000 people trained. Our staff are highly qualified professionals with an affinity for the outdoors and passion for developing people. As a national institution, our mission is to develop mentally and physically rugged youths to be active citizens inspired to serve the community.
To Serve, To Strive and Not To Yield
OBS is expanding and we want you to join the family as outdoor educators who are passionate about developing and educating youths through the great outdoors.
As an OBS Instructor, you will coach our youths and help them discover their strengths and leadership potential through a rigorous outdoor education experience. You will lead expeditions across land and sea, motivating our youths to persevere and work as a team. Your values, competencies and leadership qualities will shape Singapore’s next generation.
Find out more from our OBS Instructors here.
Shaping Lives Through Purposeful Adventure as a Professional Outdoor Educator
As a professional outdoor educator, the OBS Instructor’s key role is to help our youth draw impactful learning through purposeful outdoor adventure experiences. You will build your career by engaging and shaping the lives of Secondary 3 students through 5-day MOE-OBS Challenge Programmes. Thereafter with more experience, you will conduct a wide variety of customised programmes between 7 to 23 days for other client groups - youth and adult - both locally and overseas.
To equip you with the competencies and skills for this demanding role, you will undergo an intensive OBS Basic Instructor Training (BIT) in the first 6 months. After being qualified as an OBS Instructor, you will continue upgrading your outdoor leadership and coaching skills through our Advanced Instructor Training (AIT). Your subsequent responsibilities would include mentoring and coaching new OBS Instructors, developing new training methodology, leading overseas expeditions or organising OBS-wide events. As a valued OBS staff, you will be placed on our Career Development Pathway where you can further grow as a field leader or an organization leader.
- Passion for engaging with and developing youths
- Leadership and adaptability to thrive in a dynamic work environment
- Good communication and cognitive ability to teach skills, and facilitate reflection and learning
- Drive, initiative, and qualities of an active team player
- Strong situational and safety awareness to manage the well-being of participants
- Physical fitness and mental resilience to work extensively in an outdoor environment
- Preferably have youth development, teaching or instructional experience, and an active sporting or outdoor background
OBS Instructor Selection Process (ISP)
OBS Instructors are selected through an immersive 3D2N outdoor expedition - participants will go through mentally and physically challenging activities to demonstrate their qualities. At the end, selected candidates will be invited for a final panel interview with Management.
The ISP is a physically demanding and highly intensive programme. For your safety, if you have any of the medical conditions below, you are advised not to participate:
- Breathing problems, e.g. exercise induced asthma
- Blood disorder, e.g. anaemia
- Severe obesity, e.g. Body Mass Index (BMI) above 35 due to obesity
- Epilepsy/fits/seizures, e.g. any attack within the last 2 years
- Severe allergic reaction to unavoidable allergens e.g. traces of allergen or insect bites
- Behavioural and/or psychological conditions, e.g. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) / Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) / Depression
- Any condition requiring administration of injections or medical equipment support, e.g. Insulin, Epipen
- Any condition (physical and psychological) that may impair physical movement, behavioural or cognitive response, and/or adversely affect safety to self or others during the course e.g colour blindness, night blindness, hearing or speech impairment
Be part of a dynamic team in a meaningful career to develop the leaders of tomorrow! Express your interest to join the OBS family as an OBS Instructor now!
Closing on 31 Dec 2021