Prosecuting Officer/ Senior Prosecuting Officer, Prosecution Department, Legal Services Division
MINISTRY OF MANPOWER
Legal, Public / Civil Service
The mission of the Legal Services Division (LSD) of the Ministry of Manpower is to administer justice through fair prosecution and adjudication, and providing effective legal solutions to advance the Ministry’s mission.
We invite qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Prosecuting Officer (Prosecution Branch)
The primary function of the Prosecution Department is to prosecute offenders under the various Acts administered by the Ministry in the State Courts. These include the Employment Act (Chapter 91), the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act (Chapter 91A), the Employment Agencies Act (Chapter 92), the Foreign Employee Dormitories Act 2015 (Act 3 of 2015), the Work Injury Compensation Act (Chapter 354), and the Workplace Safety and Health Act (Chapter 354A). Your functions and duties include the following:
- Assisting senior prosecutors in the department to assess Investigation Papers to make appropriate prosecutorial decisions for criminal cases under the Ministry’s purview.
- Preparing and conducting mentions, pre-trial conferences and trials for criminal cases under the Ministry’s purview.
- Assisting in preparation for High Court proceedings of criminal cases prosecuted by the Ministry.
- Providing legal advice to the Ministry in relation to prosecution matters.
- Assisting to conduct training on prosecution or legal topics to the officers in the Ministry.
- Assisting senior prosecutors in the department to craft and review departmental policies.
- Individuals holding LLB degrees awarded by universities recognised under the Legal Profession Act (Chapter 161, Section 2(2)), Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) Rules (“the Rules”) may wish to note that any period of employment as a Prosecuting Officer may be counted towards the practice training period for the purposes of section 13 of the LPA.
Candidates should possess:
- Tertiary Education (both fresh graduates and mid-career professionals); discipline in law would be preferred.
- The ability to advocate and think on one’s feet.
- The ability to write clearly and reason compellingly is highly essential.
We regret that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Closing on 20 Apr 2021