#SGUnitedJobs Data Scientist
GOVERNMENT TECHNOLOGY AGENCY
Information Technology, Public / Civil Service
We are looking for Data Scientists who are interested in using data to draw insights that will result in policy changes or business process optimisation, benefiting the public. The applicant will be scoping the project with stakeholders, using data sets across Government Agencies, applying business acumen to tease out relevant impactful insights, and presenting insights in a clear, concise manner by using appropriate visualisations.
He/she should have some training and working experiences on data analytics, and should be comfortable with hands-on data manipulation, data modelling and data visualisation. He/she should also be comfortable with engaging stakeholders on refining their business problems, and prioritising the more potential impactful ones.
The analytics work that we do are typically action oriented and cross-cutting across various domains such as social, economic and infrastructure sectors. Over time, he/she will gain exposure to various policy and ops domains and being more adept in bridging between business users and technical expertise.
What to Expect:
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand their needs/pain points, scope the problem and develop business case on how to turn data into critical information and knowledge that are actionable, to be used for policy making, streamlining operations or developing solutions for citizens.
- Perform data cleaning, pre-processing, feature engineering and build relevant models to conduct meaningful analysis. Know which visualisation technique is appropriate to communicate the insight effectively. Iterate with the stakeholders to perform subsequent deep dives based on the initial insights.
- Depending on the required business needs, design of dashboards and interactive visualisation as tools for data exploration as well as for storytelling may be expected.
- Potentially deployed to other Government Agencies to be their resident Data Scientist. This will involve executing data analytics projects for the Agency, as well as providing data analytics consulting services to the Agency, which could include providing advice on how to structure analytics teams in the Agency, data analytics visioning, planning and implementation strategies to build strong pipeline of impactful projects
How to Succeed:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Quantitative Social Science, or related degrees. We will also factor in relevant certifications (e.g., Coursera)
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience, preferably in public sector or data science field
- Ability to take a broad, strategic perspective as well as drill deep to understand business needs and challenges
- Understand key concepts, techniques and considerations in machine learning and data analytics
- Training and relevant experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Data science tools such as R, Python
- Visual analytics technologies like Tableau, Qlik
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with ability to pitch ideas and influence stakeholders
- Strong analytical, conceptualisation and problem solving skills
- Team player with strong organisation and people handling skills
- Passion for the use of analytics and data to improve Public Service
Closing on 24 May 2021