#SGUnitedJobs Software Engineer (iOS)
GOVERNMENT TECHNOLOGY AGENCY
Information Technology, Public / Civil Service
S$6000 - S$11000
Who We Are
At Government Digital Services, we endeavour to improve the lives of people in Singapore, one line of code at a time. We work closely with a range of government agencies to build high-quality, citizen-centric products.
Given the scale and lifespan of government products, we prioritise clean code and maintainable systems. We bring modern engineering practices such as CI / CD, TDD, DevOps, and XP into the work we do.
We continually prototype and iterate, in order to build the right products and deliver the best experience for citizens.
We believe in a flat team structure, where everyone takes strong ownership of the work. We practise Agile, and each product team is self-managing, cross-functional, and empowered to move quickly.
We thrive off each other’s positivity and energy, constantly challenging one another to improve our craft.
What you’ll do day to day:
You’ll be working on TraceTogether, an app that mitigates the spread of COVID-19 through community-driven contact tracing. TraceTogether is the first national deployment of a Bluetooth contact tracing app in the world, and has sparked many similar international initiatives. Within Singapore, TraceTogether has 1.6 million downloads, and is used by the Ministry of Health as part of the contact tracing process. You’ll be working on adding more features to TraceTogether, as well as improving existing functionality. You can find out more about TraceTogether at tracetogether.gov.sg. You can also read the technical white paper at bluetrace.io.
In this role, you will:
- Write code that is clean and maintainable
- Practice code reviews
- Tackle a wide variety of challenges across the technical stack
- Participate in regular tech-sharing sessions and team retrospectives
- Work closely with designers to understand customer pain points, come up with solutions, and then continually prototype, test, and iterate
- You’ll be part of the Government Digital Services team, which means you’ll have opportunities down the line to work on a range of other products that utilise various technologies. We choose languages and frameworks that best fit the product we’re building. Other technologies we use in GDS include Node.js, TypeScript, React, React Native, Ruby on Rails, Golang and Kotlin.
How to succeed in the role:
- Solid programming fundamentals
- Experience developing native iOS apps in Swift is valued but not compulsory. Minimally, you should be interested in diving into this and picking it up.
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Learning agility. Given the speed of change, a hunger for learning is essential
- Be a team player with good communication skills
- Have the desire to serve the public through the use of technology
- Possess a healthy discontent with the status quo, and an itch to improve things
Closing on 04 Jun 2021